The South Carolina Manufacturing Extension Partnership (SCMEP), The South Carolina Department of Commerce, and the South Carolina Manufacturer’s Alliance (SCMA) are making a US supply chain platform available for free for manufacturers in South Carolina in July 2023.
The database, CONNEX Marketplace, allows manufacturers to create company profiles and include pertinent information such as certifications, Small Business Administration designations, manufacturing capabilities and equipment, and much more.
The platform features an Exchange Center in which manufacturers can post and respond to business opportunities with companies in South Carolina and around the nation.
Manufacturing is a powerful industry in our state. In its 2021 Economic Impact Report, SCMA found:
- The economic impact of manufacturing on the state of South Carolina is estimated to total between $194 billion and $206 billion annually.
- Manufacturing supports, either directly or indirectly, over 30 percent of all jobs in South Carolina, making it among the state’s largest industry sectors.
- 38% of South Carolina’s General Fund comes from manufacturing, and 16% of South Carolina’s GDP is associated with manufacturing.
A critical component of South Carolina’s manufacturing industry is its supply chain. The COVID-19 pandemic taught us how a reliable and resilient supply chain can impact our entire nation’s economy. The Association for Supply Chain Management’s Top 10 Supply Chain Trends for 2023 included:
- Many supply chains are becoming more localized.
- Many supply chains are emphasizing environmental and sustainability goals.
- Supply chain managers are supporting essential goods producers to move any surpluses to humanitarian organizations, governments, and non-governmental organizations.
CONNEX South Carolina will ensure SC Manufacturers are staying competitive when it comes to managing their supply chains. So far, 25 manufacturers have embraced the platform as early adopters and will be utilizing the program right away. Manufacturers who would like complimentary sponsored access to CONNEX South Carolina can email CONNEX@scmep.org or visit scmep.org to learn more.
The South Carolina Manufacturing Extension Partnership (SCMEP) is a private, non-profit group that serves as a proven resource to South Carolina businesses, providing them with a range of innovative strategies and solutions. An affiliate of the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), SCMEP operates under the US Department of Commerce to promote innovation and industrial competitiveness.
For more than a century, the South Carolina Manufacturers Alliance (SCMA) has been the voice for manufacturing in South Carolina. Founded in 1902, the organization is the only statewide association dedicated exclusively to the interests of manufacturers. At every turn, SCMA aims to preserve and advance the economic success of manufacturers in South Carolina. We advocate for public policies that drive our industry forward, offer educational and informational forums, and provide opportunities to share best practices and build connections.